STROKEY is a new-designed keyboard for smartphones.
It’s brief structure is as follow.
- There are 20 buttons and only 5 buttons in a row. And two alphabets(primary key, secondary key) share one button except ‘a’ and ‘e’.
- One press of a button makes primary key input and double press makes secondary key input.
- Long press of a button makes upper key input(normally special character) or performs a special function.
But there is a problem in key-sharing keyboard like this. It is not easy to input the same keys sequentially because pressing a button 2 times in order to input sequential keys is the same as action of secondary key input. Below is the example.
- To input ‘s’ sequentially(named ‘ss’), button may be pressed 2 times.
- But double press of the button makes ‘d’ input.
To solve this problem, typical keyboards use below 2 methods
- timeout : enables to input sequential keys after designated time elapsed.
- special button : enables to input sequential keys after pressing special button.
But as you know the solutions are not so comfortable.
STROKEY overcomes above problem with preview popup and auto corrections. These approaches are original and creative.
Normally when a key is pressed, preview popup is displayed above of it to clarify what you pressed is actually right one. But in STROKEY, preview popup also acts as input button, and this additional option for input can distinguish sequentially same key input from secondary key input. Therefore preview popup is displayed on the center of adjacent 2 x 2 buttons so that the buttons are not disturbed to be pressed.
- double press of the button : secondary key input
- press of the popup : sequentially same keys input
This auto correction is not the same as generally known auto correction.
STROKEY checks that input word is valid and if the word is wrong and if it has secondary keys, STROKEY tries to convert the secondary keys to sequentially same primary keys.
For example, ‘l’ and ‘k’ are all in same button and ‘l’ is primary key and ‘k’ is secondary key. if ‘heko’ that is wrong is inserted, ‘k’ is tried to convert to ‘ll’. And because the word ‘hello’ is valid, ‘heko’ is converted ‘hello’ automatically.
Therefore usually users don’t have to use popup button in order to input sequentially same keys because STROKEY can correct input word automatically.
And you can restore unexpectedly converted word using delete button. you can see ‘↻’ mark in delete button if it can be restored.
STROKEY has several special functions and these can be performed by long press of a specific button.
- One-handed mode
- Emoji, Character emoticon input
- Latin extended input
- To display setup menu